Have a question about booking a birthday party at the Rutgers Geology Museum? See if you can find the answer here.
- How do I book a birthday party?
Fill out our online birthday party request form and someone from the RUGM staff will contact about availability and details.
- How many people can attend?
Party packages are available for groups up to a maximum of 20 children (including any siblings or other family members attending). Adding additional children over the maximum of 20 will cost $10 per additional child. If you would like to arrange for more than 20 children, please reach out directly to Museum staff as we are limited by our number of chairs and tables.
- How many adult chaperones are required?
A minimum of 1 adult chaperone per every 4 children is required, with a maximum of 10 adult chaperones.
- What age is this party appropriate for?
Parties are available for children age 5 and up only.
- How much does it cost?
Birthday parties cost $400 for non-members. Museum Members receive a discount depending on the level of membership: Sapphire level members receive a 10% discount; Emerald level members receive a 50% discount. An additional $60 supply fee applies to the Paint Along party package.
- How long is the party?
All parties last two hours and include access to the museum 30 minutes before and after the party for set up and clean up. Parties held between the hours of 2:30 pm and 4:30 pm must have everyone vacated from the museum by 5:00 pm.
- When are birthday parties held?
All dates are subject to museum avaliability
- Saturday- 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm
- Sunday- 12 pm to 2 pm
- What happens if the party runs over time?
An additional prorated fee of $75 per hour will be charged to the party organizers if guests have not left the museum by one half hour past the party end time.
- How should I arrange drop off and pick up of the children attending the party?
Children should arrive no more than 20-30 minutes prior to the start of the party and must be picked up no later than 30 minutes after the conclusion of the party. The party organizers are responsible for arranging pick-up and transportation home for all children, and must remain at the museum until all children have been picked up. An additional prorated fee of $75 per hour will be charged to the party organizers if all children are not picked up by the end of the party time slot.
- What types of activities are provided during the party?
- Regular Party Package: One-hour guided activities: choose from a guided tour OR geology themed arts and crafts stations. Scavenger hunt with prize included with both options.
- Paint Along Party Package: 1.5 hour guided painting session and scavenger hunt.
- What does the museum provide on the day of the party?
The birthday party package includes the following items:
- Two-hour use of the museum.
- Setup and cleanup: tables, tablecloths and chairs set up prior to party.
- Plates, napkins and silverware. Cake not included. If you wish to bring your own plates, etc. please notify us in advance.
- Supplies for the guided activity of your choice.
- How far in advance should you book the party?
Reservations must be made at least one month in advance, and are subject to availability of the museum facilities.
- Where can I park?
Please check out our Directions and Parking page for more information.
- What type of food and beverages can we bring for the party?
Drinks, small snacks (chips, pretzels and candy), and a cake and/or cupcakes are allowed in the museum. If you would like to serve a "meal", we also allow pizza. There is a pizza place about one block away from the Geology Museum in the "Yard". All leftover food and food garbage must be taken out of the museum by the party organizer at the end of the party. All foods containing peanuts or peanut products are prohibited in the museum. The museum does not have facilities for maintaining hot or cold food at safe temperatures or access to sinks.
- What items are not allowed in the museum?
All foods containing peanuts or peanut products are prohibited in the museum. Groups may bring table decorations only and are not allowed to put decorations on any of the displays or exhibits. Latex balloons are prohibited in the museum.
- Can I bring decorations?
Groups may bring table decorations only and are not allowed to put decorations on any of the displays or exhibits. Latex balloons are prohibited in the museum.
- How can I pay for the birthday party?
The museum accepts credit cards, cash, or checks made out to "Rutgers Geology Museum."
- When is payment due?
A nonrefundable payment in full is required at the time of booking. You may change your party date with no penalty up to 3 business days prior to the originally booked date, subject to availability.
- Is the museum handicap accessible?
Due to the building's historic nature, it is not handicap assessable and does not have an elevator. The museum is located on the 2nd floor and visitors must walk up two flights of stairs to enter the museum.
- What happens if I have to cancel?
You may change your party date with no penalty up to 3 business days prior to the originally booked date, subject to availability. Cancellations or changes made with less than 3 days notice will not be refunded but may be rescheduled based on availability.
- Is there a gift shop at the museum?
Yes. The gift shop has a wide variety of natural history related items for sale. Prices ranges from $1.00 up to ~$20.00. The gift shop accepts cash and credit cards.