2020 Open House
10 am to 11 am: "How the 1849 Gold Rush and the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake Enabled us to Divine our Seismic Future"
- Presented with Demonstrations, Dr. Ross Stein, Temblor Inc.
- Video Link to Dr. Stein's Lecture
11:30 am to 12:30 pm: "Science in the Public Eye - How a Study of the Physical Properties in the Earth becomes a Threat of Volcanic Catastrophe"
- Dr. Vadim Levin, Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences, Rutgers University
- Video Link to Dr. Levin's Lecture
2 pm to 3 pm: "After Disaster Strikes - Economic Impacts from Natural Disasters and How Modeling Technology Helps Institutions Prepare"
- Megan Arnold, Risk Management Solutions
- Video Link to Ms. Arnold's Lecture
2019 Open House
10 am to 11 am: “The Antarctic Search for Meteorites: Planetary Science at the Coldest Place on Earth”
- Dr. Juliane Gross, Rutgers University, Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences
11:30 am to 12:30 pm: “Unraveling the Mysteries of Glacier Movement”
- Dr. Lucas Zoet, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Department of Geoscience
- Video Link to Dr. Zoet's Lecture
2 pm to 3 pm: “Meltdown in the Arctic: A Perspective from the Greenland Ice Sheet”
- Dr. Åsa Rennermalm, Rutgers University, Department of Geography
- Video Link to Dr. Rennermalm's Lecture
2018 Open House
10:00 am to 11:00 am: "New Jersey Fisheries in a Global Context"
- Dr. Olaf Jensen, Department of Marine & Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University
11:30 am to 12:30 pm: "Empire of the Apes: the recent discovery of an ape and human ancestor in Africa"
- Dr. Isaiah Nengo, Turkana Basin Institute and Department of Anthropology, Stony Brook University
2:00 pm to 3:00 pm: "The Appalachians and how they got that way: Structure and dynamics of eastern North America"
- Presented by Dr. Maureen Long, Department of Geology and Geophysics, Yale University
2017 Open House
10:00 am to 11:00 am: “Volcanoes and Life”
- Dr. James Webster, Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences, American Museum of Natural History
11:30 am to 12:30 pm: “Dense Gas in Distant, Dusty Galaxies
- Dr. Andrew Baker, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Rutgers University
2016 Open House
10:00 am to 11:00 am- "The Moon rocks: Lunar meteorites and the secrets they contain"
- Dr. Juliane Gross, Assistant Professor, Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences, Rutgers University
11:30 am to 12:30 pm- "From Plate Tectonics to Deep Earth Dynamics: A Seismological Journey Inside the Earth"
- Dr. Caroline Beghein, Assistant Professor, Department of Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences, University of California
- Link to talk slides.
1:30 pm to 2:30 pm- "The Sound and the Fury: Marine acoustic profiling to measure sea-level change amid environmental concerns"
- Dr. Gregory Mountain, Professor, Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences, Rutgers University
3:00 pm to 4:00 pm- "Reconstructing the Paleoclimate and Paleoenvironment of the Turkana Basin, Kenya"
- Dr. Catherine Beck, Assistant Professor, Geosciences Department, Hamilton College
2015 Open House
10:00 am to 11:00 am- "A Dip in the Ocean: An Interactive Exploration of How the Ocean Impacts You and How You Impact the Ocean"
- Janice McDonnell, Rutgers University, Marine Science Institute
11:30 am to 12:30 pm- "Extremophilic Environments and Microbial Diversity Within"
- Dr. Ramaydalis Keddis, Kean University, Department of General Studies
- Download a copy of Dr. Keddis' presentation pdf here (1.59 MB) .
***1:30 pm to 2:30 pm- "Earth's Cocktail Party: Deciphering the Physics of Earthquakes with Networks of Seismic Arrays"
- Dr. Jean-Paul Ampuero, California Institute of Technology, Seismological Laboratory
***3:00 pm to 4:00 pm- "The Art of the Geological Map"
- Dr. Don Monteverde, New Jersey Geological and Water Survey and Rutgers University, Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences
- Download a copy of Dr. Monteverde's presentation pdf here (15.34 MB) .
***This time slot has been changed since it's original publication.