Have a question about holding a reception at the Rutgers Geology Museum? See if you can find the answer below.
- How many people can be accommodated at the reception?
Packages are available for groups up to a maximum of 100 guests.
- What times and dates are available for receptions?
Available dates depend on the museum availability. Please fill out a reception inquiry form to ask about specific dates and times.
- What does it cost to book a reception at the geology museum?
$500 plus a trash removal fee. The cost of this fee will vary depending on time and date of the event. The average cost of this fee is $120.
- When is payment due?
A 50% deposit is required at the time of booking, which may be refunded up to two weeks prior to your event in the event of cancelation. The remaining balance is due in full two weeks prior to the event date, and is not refundable after this point.
- How can I pay for the reception?
The museum accepts credit cards, cash, or checks made out to "Rutgers Geology Museum."
- Can I hire a caterer or bring food to the museum?
Yes. The party planners are responsible for making all the food/catering arrangements. All event supplies (plates, dishes, cups, silverware, etc.) must be provided by the event planner. All leftover food must be removed from the museum at the end of the event by the organizer. Note: the museum does not have facilities for maintaining hot or cold food at safe temperatures.
- Are decorations allowed in the museum?
The event planner is only allowed to use table decorations and is prohibited from putting decorations on any of the displays or exhibits. Latex balloons are prohibited in the museum.
- How long does the reception last?
Your event will include access to the Museum facilities for a four-hour time slot, including set up and clean up time. A rate of $100 per hour will be charged to the party organizers if the event goes over the allotted time.
- What does the museum provide for the reception?
- 4-hour use of the museum, including setup and cleanup time.
- Tables, tablecloths and chairs set up prior to the event (if additional chairs or tables are required additional fees may apply).
- Coffee and tea service.
- Where can I park?
Please check out our Directions and Parking page for more information.
- What type of groups can book a reception?
Any group can book a reception at the geology museum.
- Is alcohol allowed in the museum?
Rutgers University has a strict alcohol policy. If you plan to serve alcohol at the event you must adhere to all University regulations. A copy of these regulations will be provided to the event planner at the time of booking.
- How far in advance should I book a reception?
Reservations must be made at least one month in advance in order to guarantee the event date, subject to availability. We will do our best to accommodate requests with shorter lead times. The geology museum reserves the right to limit the availability of potential event dates.
- What happens if I have to cancel?
Deposits may be refunded if the event is cancelled with a minimum of two weeks notice. No refunds will be given after final payment is made. Events will be rescheduled at the discretion of the RUGM staff.
- How do I book a reception?
Please fill out our reception inquiry form with as many details about your event as possible. Someone from the RUGM staff will contact you shortly about final booking and details.
- Is the museum handicap accessible?
Due to the buildings historic nature is not handicap assessable and does not have an elevator. The museum is located on the 2nd floor and visitors must walk up two flights of stairs to enter the museum.