Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
spacer

spacer Rutgers Geology Museum
About the Museum

PhotoThe Rutgers Geology Museum was founded in 1872 by State Geologist George H. Cook to exhibit the many specimens collected by the New Jersey Geological Survey, which he directed. The building, originally known as the Geological Hall, was designed by Henry Janeway Hardenbergh, a Rutgers graduate and descendent of the university’s first president. Hardenbergh later earned fame as the architect of the Dakota Apartments and the Plaza Hotel. Dr. Cook, who taught chemistry and natural philosophy at Rutgers College, also founded the Rutgers Scientific School. Cook hoped the museum's instructional exhibits would cultivate the scientific interests of Rutgers students and the public.

In 1968 the Department of Geological Sciences sponsored the museum's first annual open house and initiated an out-reach program that brought K-12 students to the museum for tours. As we enter the 21st century, the museum continues to educate students and the public about science, and does so in a historically evocative Victorian setting.
spacer
 
For technical questions or comments about this site, contact vmars@echo.rutgers.edu.
© 2010 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.

Last Updated: 11/02/2010

Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey Camden Newark New Brunswick Search Rutgers